[CLC-Discussion] 2 questions

Meyer, George J. gmeyer at carltonfields.com
Tue May 31 09:36:08 PDT 2016

Andrea, typically the profits and losses of a JV are allocated among the JV members based upon their ownership interest as stated in the JV Agmt. If there are 2 JV members and each has a 50% ownership interest in the JV, then unless the JV Agmt provides otherwise, they will each receive 50% of the Profits (or be responsible for paying 50% of the Losses). To the extent there is a capital call and capital needs to be paid in, each of those 2 JV members would be liable for 50% of the capital call. In addition, all JV decisions would have to be mutually agreed upon by both JV members (unless the JV Agmt provided otherwise).

The allocation of ownership interest doesn’t have to be 50%-50%. It can be any combination the parties want that adds up to 100% (e.g., 75/25, 60/40, etc.). If ownership is not 50%-50%, then one party will be the majority member and one the minority member. Since ownership interest also typically corresponds to voting interests,  that means the majority member will have control over the JV (again unless the JV Agmt provides otherwise).

For your father/son arrangement, perhaps they may want to base their respective ownership interest on how much of the total contract price/work each will be handling with their company. For example, if the total contract price will be $500K, with the son’s company handling $100K of the total work and the father’s company handling $400K of the total work, then they might consider a JV where the father has 80% and the son 20%. Also, the parties can agree to one percentage allocation for voting (i.e., JV control) and a different allocation for sharing profits and losses  and another allocation for capital calls.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
George

[Carlton Fields, P.A.]
George J. Meyer
Attorney at Law
Certified by The Florida Bar in Construction Law

4221 W. Boy Scout Blvd., Ste. 1000
Tampa, Florida  33607-5780
Direct:  813.229.4140 | Fax:  813.229.4133

gmeyer at carltonfields.com<mailto:gmeyer at carltonfields.com> |  www.carltonfields.com<http://www.carltonfields.com/>
bio<http://www.carltonfields.com/gmeyer/> |vcard<http://www.carltonfields.com/FCWSite/Features/_Attorneys/vCard.aspx?attorney=89>