[CLC-Discussion] CLC Legislation Process

Pence, Scott spence at carltonfields.com
Wed Jul 27 08:27:46 PDT 2016

Thanks Robert,

The “stop-start” legislation is not on the agenda for the Executive Council meeting at The Breakers this weekend.  In fact, that legislation was approved by the RPPTL Section two Section-meetings ago, in February, 2016, after being fully-vetted by the CLC for over a year and a half and ultimately approved.  I’ve attached a copy of what was approved for everyone’s reference.

As many of our CLC members may recall, the proposed “stop-start” legislation was initiated within the Section by the Real Property Problems Study Committee back in July, 2014.  At that time, the CLC’s legislative subcommittee reviewed the proposed legislation and felt it was overly-broad in relation to the perceived problem it was seeking to correct.  We worked with the sponsor of the legislation over the next year and a half and that legislation ultimately was scaled way back to revise only Section 713.132, Fla. Stat. (as you can see in the attached).  The legislation that was ultimately approved by the RPPTL Section was vetted and approved by the CLC through our legislative subcommittee who, over the course of that year and a half, raised numerous issues and concerns.  All of those issues and concerns were adequately addressed in the final version of the legislation and at that time the subcommittee recommended to the CLC that it be approved.  Which the CLC ultimately did.

Given this discussion, I think it is important to step back and remind all of our members the manner in which proposed legislation is either initiated or reviewed & approved or rejected by the CLC.  We have a legislative subcommittee in charge of reviewing all proposed legislation dealing with construction law issues, whether that legislation is initiated within the CLC, another committee of the RPPTL Section or any outside organization.  That subcommittee meets on an as-needed basis and reviews and makes recommendations to the full CLC.  Sometimes the recommendation is to approve the legislation (either as-is or with modifications), sometimes it is to reject the legislation, and other times they may recommend that we take no position at all (e.g., if a consensus cannot be reached).  Once that recommendation is provided, the CLC typically makes that same recommendation to the RPPTL Section accordingly (I’m not aware of there ever being a time when the subcommittee’s recommendation was rejected).

In any event, that is the way we do it and I encourage any members of the CLC who want to be a part of that process to join the legislative subcommittee.  We want (no, we need) more of our members to be active at the time legislation is being reviewed because, as many of you know, sometimes these bills move very quickly and change often.  Simply let me or Sanjay know that you want to join the legislative subcommittee and you will be added to the listserv.

Regards,
Scott

Scott P. Pence | Carlton Fields
Board Certified in Construction Law by The Florida Bar
Direct: 813.229.4322 | Fax: 813.229.4133
4221 W. Boy Scout Blvd., Ste. 1000
Tampa, Florida 33607-5780
bio<http://www.cfjblaw.com/spence/> | vcard<http://www.cfjblaw.com/FCWSite/Features/_Attorneys/vCard.aspx?attorney=7> | linkedin<http://www.linkedin.com/in/pencescott>