[CLC-Discussion] Arnie's Construction Law Christmas Haikus

lan at lwwhiteattorney.com lan at lwwhiteattorney.com
Tue Aug 23 13:11:00 PDT 2016

I don't pretend to be a banking expert, which may be why I don't understand
the problem. Client wrote the check, which was cashed. That means the GC has
to pay the check when tendered. I don't see that being altered by the fact
that the money was confiscated. The sub could just as easily spent the money
on slow horses; the results would be the same. It doesn't seem to me to be a
UCC Article 3 or 4 issue at all.

Although you didn't say, I suspect the real problem is that the sub isn't
going to pay sub-subs or suppliers and the GC didn't get lien waivers or
interim affidavits. If that be the case, I think the GC may very well have
to pay twice as to any sub-subs or suppliers who have lien rights.

Langfred W. White, Esq.
Board Certified in Construction Law

The Law Offices of Langfred W. White, PA
P. O. Box 8334
Clearwater, FL 33758-8334
Phone: (727) 422-5064
email: lan at lwwhiteattorney.com

This electronic message is confidential and may be subject to an
attorney-client, privilege or an attorney work product privilege, or may
otherwise be exempt from discovery under applicable federal and state law.
It is intended for use only by the named addressee.  If you receive this in
error or are not the intended recipient, please delete this email and notify
the sender via return e-mail or telephone at (727) 797-5599.  Pursuant to
IRS Circular 230, please be advised this message, and any advice contained
in it, is not intended to be used and may not be used to avoid any tax
penalties that may be imposed on you.