[CLC-Discussion] Paid If Paid Incorporated By Reference From Subcontract To 713.23 Statutory Payment Bond

lan at lwwhiteattorney.com lan at lwwhiteattorney.com
Tue Jul 7 10:26:45 PDT 2015

As we remember from the best of law school exams, the question breaks into
several parts. I concur with the analysis that if the language of the bond
tries to vary the statutory provisions, it creates a common law bond.
Conversely, if the bond tracks the statutory language, it remains a
statutory bond to secure whatever is due the subcontractor. But it seems to
me the real question is "What is due the subcontractor?" If the court views
the clause in the subcontract as a "pay WHEN paid" clause, then as we all
know that's interpreted to mean a "reasonable" time. In that event the lien
is proper because the sub will be convinced the two days it waited for
payment is more than reasonable. (Sorry, couldn't resist the snarky comment)
If it really is a "pay IF paid" clause, then is it too simplistic to say
that the subcontractor isn't due anything from the contractor? To answer
that we have to look at whether payments to the general are contractually
due. If the owner is not yet obligated to make a contractual payment, the
sub can file its lien, and the lien will transfer, but if there is no money
presently due then wouldn't the lien amount have to be zero? And if the
answer to that is a 'yes' then wouldn't filing anything with a larger amount
be a fraudulent lien? Conversely, if payment is due from the owner to the
general, even if the sub is not in privity with the owner, money owed to the
sub IS contractually due. Then the sub should be able to lien the owner's
property. I think.

Langfred W. White, Esq.
Board Certified in Construction Law

The Law Offices of Langfred W. White, PA
P. O. Box 8334
Clearwater, FL 33758-8334
Phone: (727) 422-5064
email: lan at lwwhiteattorney.com

This electronic message is confidential and may be subject to an
attorney-client, privilege or an attorney work product privilege, or may
otherwise be exempt from discovery under applicable federal and state law.
It is intended for use only by the named addressee.  If you receive this in
error or are not the intended recipient, please delete this email and notify
the sender via return e-mail or telephone at (727) 797-5599.  Pursuant to
IRS Circular 230, please be advised this message, and any advice contained
in it, is not intended to be used and may not be used to avoid any tax
penalties that may be imposed on you.