[CLC-Discussion] Tiara Condominium - Economic Loss Rule and Independent Tort

Timothy Moorhead tmoorhead at wfmblaw.com
Fri Mar 21 08:03:05 PDT 2014

Ok, apparently I have too much time on my hands, so I am going to chime in.  Frankly, I like Kim's analysis, which seems to be to start with what kind of damage you have.

I see the whole ELR argument to have initially derailed when someone coined that phrase, "Economic Loss Rule".  I want to suggest another term, perhaps, the "Edge of Duty" rule.  It takes me back to Torts at Stetson with Professor Lindsey, I wonder what ever happened to him and his pith helmet.  But I digress.  Follow me down the path (rabbit hole) of duty.

Our duties obviously arise out of our relationships to one another.  Two strangers pass on the street.  What duty do they owe to one another?  Does one, a wizard of Wall Street, owe a duty to tell the other of his latest hot stock tip? No.  Does the other owe a duty to warn the wizard that his shoelace is untied? No.  The context of their relationship brings them into only the most simple of duties, to not damage the other in their person or property.  Society, and therefore the Law, does not impose any other duty upon them.

Change our two test subjects to doctor and patient, or attorney and client and you obviously have a different outcome, but only in the context of the relationship that they have.  The patient and client are now in the relationship for the express or implied purpose of relying upon the professional for his or her skill and judgment and there are reasonable expectations about the skill and judgment based on the profession.  And that's the limit.  The professional does not owe some duty beyond the expertise of his profession.  So, we have no cause of action for the doctor giving bad legal advice or the attorney misdiagnosing our symptoms.

Now take our test subjects out of the professions and into something more mundane, the sale of a product.  Let's pick on car dealers (contractors).  The customer buys a new car (building) with the understanding that it comes with certain warranties (to code) and will perform satisfactorily as transportation (shelter) with all the comforts of leather seats, various dials and gauges, air conditioning and satellite radio (roof, HVAC, Plumbing).  He buys a certain perceived quality based upon brand recognition and price.  This bargained for exchange sets his expectations about the purchase and he is free to buy better quality (different specs).

Lets say, brand x, is known as the best of the best.  Our purchaser does not know that brand x cars buy the worst radio (you choose the item) built under the worst conditions in a country with no standards. (sub performing to specifications).  But brand x knows this and knowing the low quality of the radio, buys them and puts them in their cars. (low bid gets the job).

Now the radio fails.  Purchaser has suffered an economic loss because radio in the car does not live up to his expectations and his action is against the seller who warranted or represented the quality of the entire product.  Purchaser has no claim against the manufacturer because he had no dealings with the manufacturer.  The manufacturer never said the product was any good.  The manufacturer had no duty to the car purchaser.  The manufacturer sold his product at a low price because he and the buyer knew it was low quality.  Brand x could have bought a better radio for its cars for which the manufacturer would have charged more.  This is the edge of the manufacturer's duty.  The radio performed as the manufacturer and brand x cars anticipated that it would.  How brand x represented the final product to the purchaser is not within the manufacturer's control.

Change the scenario, when the radio fails, it burns up the car.  Again, our car purchaser has a car that didn't perform as warranted and he or she has a disappointed economic expectation and a cause of action against the brand x seller.  Now that there is damage to something other than the radio, the brand x guys may have a cause of action against the manufacturer of the radio.  We knew the radio wouldn't last long, but no one expected it to catch fire.  The car buyer is beyond the edge of the manufacturer's duty, but brand x cars may not be.

Change it again, the radio burns up causing the car to burn up and that sets the house of the car buyer on fire.  Now, because we all owe to each other a duty not to injure even a stranger in his person or property, the car buyer is within the protected class and has liability.

So, what was damaged and how, and the relationship of the parties, establishes the edge of duty.  The contract expresses the duty that the parties have agreed exist, beyond those imposed by society (no harm to person or property), in exchange for the contract price.  Strangers to the contract are not owed any duty and do not owe any duty other than those imposed by society (no harm to person or property).  Thus, the Edge of Duty.

OK, go back to work.

Timothy R. Moorhead, Esq.
[cid:image001.jpg at 01CF44F5.22488CD0]
Wright, Fulford, Moorhead & Brown, P.A.
505 Maitland Avenue
Suite 1000
Altamonte Springs, FL 32701
(407) 425-0234
(407) 425-0260 (fax)
Board Certified in Construction Law
tmoorhead at wfmblaw.com
www.wfmblaw.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail transmission (and/or the attachments accompanying it) may contain confidential information belonging to the sender which is protected by the attorney-client privilege. The information is intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. Any unauthorized interception of this transmission is illegal. If you have received this transmission in error, please promptly notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then destroy all copies of the transmission.

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE:  To ensure compliance with recently enacted U.S. Treasury Department regulations, we hereby advise you that, unless otherwise expressly stated, any and all tax advice contained in this communication has neither been written nor intended by the sender or this firm for the use of any taxpayer for the purpose of evading or avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed pursuant to U.S. law.  Furthermore, unless otherwise expressly indicated, the use of any tax advice contained in this communication has neither been written nor intended by the sender or this firm for the purpose of promoting, marketing, or recommending a partnership or other entity, investment plan or arrangement to any taxpayer, and such taxpayer should seek advice on the taxpayer's particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor.

Replies Filtered:  Any incoming reply to this e-mail communication or other e-mail communication to us will be electronically filtered for "spam" and/or "viruses." That filtering process may result in such reply or other e-mail communications to us being quarantined (i.e., potentially not received at our site at all) and/or delayed in reaching us. For that reason, we cannot guarantee that we will receive your reply or other e-mail communications to us and/or that we will receive the same in a timely manner. Accordingly, you should consider sending communications to us which are particularly important or time-sensitive by means other than e-mail.