[CLC-Discussion] 713.04 Subdivision Improvements

Larry Leiby Leiby at mkpalaw.com
Wed Mar 12 10:58:33 PDT 2014

First, 713.04(1) says that “The total amount of liens allowed under this section shall not exceed the amount of the direct contract under which the lienor furnishes labor, materials or services.”  Thus as to subdivision improvements, before we even look at the proper payments defense (which effectively is a mechanism to add back into the lien exposure sums that are “improperly paid”), we have a limit of the contract price for subdivision improvement liens.

The proper payments defense contemplates a scheme:

1) A non-erroneous NOC, which does not apply to subdivision improvements.  F.S. 713.04, says that there shall NOT be a NOC.  (I am puzzled by the number of NOC’s that still get recorded for subdivision improvements.)  So the NOC is not a factor for subdivision improvements.

2)  Releases from senders of NTO to the extent of payments made to the contractor after a timely NTO has been received.  Otherwise the payment is improper as to the sender of the NTO to the extent of such payment and can be brought back into the limit of the contract price.

3) For final payment, the owner must obtain (and the contractor must give) a FKA before final payment is made.  The owner can rely on the FKA but for those who have served NTO.

With those conditions, the owner’s exposure for liens is limited to the direct contract price.  You protect the owner with progress payment affidavits that expressly address laborers, releases from senders of NTO, and releases from those listed in an FKA.

There are some other sentences in 713.06(3) that bear mentioning.

With respect to progress payments in (c) it says:  “The owner shall be under no obligation to any lienor, except laborers, from whom he or she has not received a NTO at the time of making the payment.”

With respect to the final payment in (d)4. It says that the owner can rely on the FKA as to any lienors who have not given notice (and thus cannot rely on the FKA as to lienors who have given notice.)

Thus, but for laborers (who should be handled by requiring an affidavit from the contractor that they have all been paid, which affidavit will be relied upon in making any payment)  unless there are unpaid contract sums after proper payments I don’t see where a non-privity lienor who has not served NTO has a lien in excess of unpaid contract funds.

The potential surprise exposure would be laborers of subs and sub-subs who never must serve a NTO, but that exposure is rarely if ever significant because if laborers don’t get paid they don’t keep working for months.

Larry R. Leiby, Esq.
Malka & Kravitz, P.A.
1300 Sawgrass Corp. Pkwy., Suite 100
Ft. Lauderdale, FL  33323
Phone:  954-895-9198  Assistant:  954-514-0984
Fax:      954-514-0985              e-mail:  leiby at mkpalaw.com

Board Certified in Construction Law
Fla. Supreme Court Certified Circuit Court Civil Mediator and Arbitrator
IMI Certified Mediator

Fellow, College of Commercial Arbitrators
Member, Leiby Alexander Brandt ADR Group, LLC
Member, JAMS Global Engineering and Construction Panel
Member, National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals