[CLC-Discussion] Local Licensing

Gibbons, Michael Michael.Gibbons at lowndes-law.com
Mon Mar 10 10:28:16 PDT 2014

I have not.  And sorry for hijacking your post, Brian, but I have occasionally run into the WC exempt GC and it always seemed wrong to me.  The GC is supposed to be the "statutory employer" under Ch. 440 if, as happens, an injured subcontractor employee is not covered by the workers compensation policy of the subcontractor employer.  When the GC itself is exempt, that safety net is lost.  It's been a while since I read the CILB FAC governing licensing requirements but it used to mandate a minimum amount of GL insurance coverage and compliance with workers compensation insurance coverage requirements.  I realize that some GC entities are small enough to qualify as WC exempt but I'm surprised that neither Ch. 440 nor FAC apparently expressly prohibits a General Contractor from operating without workers compensation coverage.

Michael R. Gibbons  (Bio<http://lowndes-law.com/our-people/michael-r-gibbons>)
Shareholder
Lowndes, Drosdick, Doster, Kantor & Reed, P.A.
215 N. Eola Drive
Orlando, FL 32801
Phone: 407-418-6378
Fax: 407-843-4444