[CLC-Discussion] Contractor Check "Seized" by CBP

Fred Barnes fred at fcbarneslaw.com
Thu Jun 5 06:33:04 PDT 2014

Michael, stop showing off!

Frederick C. Barnes, P.A
500 N. Maitland Ave., Suite 305
Maitland, FL 32751
(407) 865-9200
fcbarneslaw.com

-----Original Message-----
From: clc-discussion-bounces at lists.flabarrpptl.org
[mailto:clc-discussion-bounces at lists.flabarrpptl.org] On Behalf Of Gibbons,
Michael
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 5:31 PM
To: 'CHernicz at Herniczlegal.com'; clc-discussion at lists.flabarrpptl.org
Subject: Re: [CLC-Discussion] Contractor Check "Seized" by CBP

      The check is a negotiable instrument and liability of the maker of the
check is governed by the UCC.  The stop payment order only extends between
your client and its bank and obligates the bank not to pay the instrument
against which the stopped payment order has been issued.  However, the stop
payment transaction doesn't serve to insulate the maker of the check from
liability to a third party who is a holder in due course.  Under Fla. Stat.
s. 673.3021(3)(a), a party who takes an instrument by "legal process"
(presumably US Customs seizure) is not a Holder in Due Course UNLESS their
predecessor in interest was a Holder in Due Course.  Although the original
payee fraudulently obtained the second instrument issued by your client,  it
would appear that the instrument or check at issue was obtained originally
by the payee in good faith for value and thus the payee was likely a Holder
in Due Course at the time of the Customs seizure.

      Just some thoughts but I'm a construction lawyer so I can't warrant
the accuracy of this analysis.

Michael R. Gibbons
Shareholder
Lowndes, Drosdick, Doster, Kantor & Reed, P.A.
215 N. Eola Drive
Orlando, FL 32801
Phone: 407-418-6378
Fax: 407-843-4444