[CLC-Discussion] In Need of an Attorney Referral for Wake County North Carolina (Raleigh) Lawsuit

Rouselle "Bo". Sutton III rsutton at raileyharding.com
Tue May 14 06:44:56 PDT 2013

I represent a small Orlando custom fishing boat builder that has been served with a summons and complaint for a Wake County (Raleigh) North Carolina lawsuit. I need a referral for a local attorney to handle a long-arm statute motion to dismiss.

The lawsuit alleges among other things, the boat is unfit for its intended purpose. Notably, the North Carolina resident reached out to my client via email to place his order for a boat. My client does not advertise in North Carolina, have a registered agent or conduct any business in North Carolina. In the past 9 years, this is the third boat sold to a North Carolina resident. Rather than pick the boat up himself, the purchaser hired a third-party shipper (U Ship) to pick the boat up from Orlando and deliver it to the Florida Keys for him to immediately use fishing. While on his maiden voyage, the purchaser disregarded the warnings in the owner's manual, as well as the stickers on jack plate, that advise that the jack plate must be raised before full trimming the motor up. In so doing, he damaged his steering mechanism and floated around Florida Bay a bit. The boat was towed into land for repair and has been kept at the same marina in the Florida Keys where it was repaired. In summary, my client does no business in North Carolina, the boat was purchased in Florida, picked up in Florida, damaged in Florida, repaired in Florida, was in Florida at the time the complaint was filed, and all material witnesses (other than the purchaser who is Raleigh dentist) are in Florida. The damages currently alleged are a little over $10,000, so getting the case removed from North Carolina is critical.

Please respond to me directly at rsutton at raileyharding.com. I appreciate the help.

Rouselle "Bo" Sutton, III
Partner
Railey Harding & Allen, P.A.
15 North Eola Drive
Orlando, Florida 32801
Phone (407) 648-9119
Fax (407) 648-8049
rsutton at raileyharding.com

This e-mail is intended only for the individual(s) or entity(s) named within the message. This e-mail might contain legally privileged and confidential information. If you properly received this e-mail as a client or retained expert, please hold it in confidence to protect the attorney-client or work product privileges. Should the intended recipient forward or disclose this message to another person or party, that action could constitute a waiver of the attorney-client privilege. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited by the sender and to do so might constitute a violation of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. section 2510-2521. If this communication was received in error we apologize for the intrusion. Please notify us by reply e-mail and delete the original message without reading same. Nothing in this e-mail message shall, in and of itself, create an attorney-client relationship with the sender.

Disclaimer under Circular 230: Any statements regarding tax matters made herein, including any attachments, are not formal tax opinions by this firm, cannot be relied upon or used by any person to avoid tax penalties, and are not intended to be used or referred to in any marketing or promotional materials.