[CLC-Discussion] Can a construction lender bond off a construction lien?

Jeff Price jeff at npw-law.com
Tue Feb 5 10:21:23 PST 2013

I have had lenders bond off the lien in the past when we were representing
the lien holder on commercial jobs.

In those instances I have never had an objection because I would rather have
a fight over a "bucket of money" than over the possibility of having to go
through a foreclosure fight.

>From a statutory standpoint, what "interest" the lender has is not well
defined (allowing them to secure the transfer bond). But it would be rather
difficult to argue that the lender had no recognizable interest. The
question I have  anticipate from the Court has been, "Mr. Price, how has
your lien holder-client been prejudiced?" Well, he hasn't.

I would think the only person who could object would be the Owner. But if
the Owner doesn't object, then what standing do I have? I'm simply saying
with my lien that my client did the work and didn't get paid. I have to
prove that whether there is a transfer bond or not.

Jeffrey L. Price, Esq.
Florida Bar Board Certified - Construction Law

Niesen|Price|Worthy|Campo|Blakey, PA
5216 SW 91st Drive  Gainesville, FL 32608
Ph (352) 373-9031   Fax (352) 373-9099

http://npw-law.com

NPW_Logo_Solid_small    certification logo half size

This communication is intended for the sole use of the individual or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader
of this communication is not the intended recipient, employee or agent
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of
this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please immediately notify me by telephone, delete
this communication, and destroy any copies of it.  Thank you.