[CLC-Discussion] Can a construction lender bond off a construction lien?

Gibbons, Michael Michael.Gibbons at lowndes-law.com
Tue Feb 5 09:32:11 PST 2013

  The term "interest" may be construed narrowly as referring to different forms of ownership interest (e.g., leasehold, fee simple, ground lease etc.).  It may, however, be interpreted more broadly to include persons interested in the real property by virtue of a legal tie to the property through a recorded mortgage lien or other record encumbrance.  I am unaware of any legislative history or case on the subject but it strikes me that neither the property owner nor the lienor may have an issue with substituted security of a bond.  I also doubt that the Clerk would hesitate to accept such a Lien Transfer Bond and issue and record a Certificate of Transfer officially transferring the Claim of Lien to the security of the Bond.

Michael R. Gibbons  (Bio<http://lowndes-law.com/our-people/michael-r-gibbons>)
Shareholder
Lowndes, Drosdick, Doster, Kantor & Reed, P.A.
215 N. Eola Drive
Orlando, FL 32801
Phone: 407-418-6378
Fax: 407-843-4444