[CLC-Discussion] Request for mediation experiences

Bruce Partington bparting at cphlaw.com
Fri Jul 20 20:37:32 PDT 2012

Somewhat echoing another Bruce's comments, getting insurance issues
squared away before mediation can be -- OK -- is always -- very
important.  I have other war-stories, but I'm limiting my comments to
insurance related issues.  My general perception on this front is that
for a mediation to be most effective, the parties need to be fully
versed not only on the merits of the case, but also on insurance
coverage issue relating to the claim.

      A.    AI coverage, and the actual endorsements.  AI Endorsements
"ain't what they used to be" and if coverage claims relative to AI
endorsements are important, flesh that out before mediation.  Arguing
about it at mediation is entirely unproductive, and can derail
settlement.  (Right, Bruce!?)

      B.    Having "real" adjustors attend the mediation, rather than
"rented" adjustors.  The entire value of in-person mediation is lost if
the real authority the mediator has to deal with is a person on the
phone.  Maybe this is an area where video conferencing (skype, etc.) can
add value, but that "presence" needs to be continuous or the value of
the "process" of mediation is lost.

      C.    The mediator can set a "deadline" for coverage issues.  I
have had many mediations where an adjustor walks in and injects, for the
first time, "there's no coverage" and the mediation rapidly descends to
an impasse. What if the mediator sets a rule that coverage positions
must be definitively disclosed X days before the mediation (of course
reserving rights to subsequently disclosed facts, etc.)?  Of course I
know that coverage defenses must be disclosed far earlier than that, but
cases evolve.

      D.    Require that coverage issues be addressed in mediation
summaries if there are potential coverage issues.  I fully realize that
insurer-retained defense counsel cannot address those issues, but if
there are going to be serious coverage issues then coverage counsel
should chime in as part of the mediation process early -- rather than
late (at the mediation).

      E.    Consider separate opening presentations where coverage
issues are raised and presented separately and not to the entire group.
A progression of folks in a group setting saying "we think there's no
coverage so go away" leads to a predictable intertial response as things
go around the table.

      F.    As part of the initial materials, require that insurers
disclose to the mediator and to the claimant what they are treating as
the occurrence date or dates. If there is a possibility of multiple
"occurrences" over multiple policy periods, that (or its absence) should
be disclosed up front and in advance.

      G.    Require that ALL of the disclosures above be made not solely
to the mediator, but also to the party whose claim is at issue for the
insurance coverage. Global disclosure to all parties may not be
appropriate, but it is entirely appropriate as to the claimant relative
to the insurance policy at issue, and likely those "upstream" from that
claimant.

Remember, all of this can be couched within the mediation privilege and
confidentiality act, which mitigates insurers' risk in these
disclosures.

So many war stories, so little time.  Hope the seminar goes well.

Bruce D. Partington

Clark Partington

bpartington at cphlaw.com

Direct: 850-432-1399

Fax: 850-432-7340

*Board Certified in Construction Law

NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments are private
communication sent by the law firm of Clark Partington Hart Larry Bond &
Stackhouse, and may contain confidential, legally privileged information
meant solely for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination,
Please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message, and
delete the e-mail and any attachments from your system. Thank you.